1. Whole blood samples containing sodium citrate, sodium EDTA, potassium EDTA, or sodium heparin are recommended.
2. Blood volume higher than 10 % (v/v) would increase the difficulties in recovering aqueous supernatant from blood cell debris that remains after PCR.
3. Dry blood stored on Guthrie cards or 903 cards (Whatman, NJ) can be used directly by adding 1 mm punch disc to PCR reaction
4. For blood stored on FTA cards (Whatman, NJ), first incubate a 1 mm punch disc in 50 μl of water at 55°C for 5 minutes, then discard the water and use the disc directly in PCR reaction.
6. Up to 10% (v/v) DMSO can be used for high-GC targets.